Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: The Natural Way..

Axyloverxx

Reaction score
Okay so here's the thing, the lady at our local pet shop who are great with Axies...:D
Said that instead of putting chemicals in the tank all the time it was better for them to just do it naturally... Is this true because two years ago when i got my axies i took her advice, now i have discovered Caudata.org i'm not so sure ... If anyone can help it is much apprerciated.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm somewhat confused. What kind of chemicals are you talking about?

I can safely say that the vast majority of us here will tell you NOT to put chemicals in your tank.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the products that increase or decrease pH are a bad idea. They change the pH, but only temporarily, so you end up with rapid swings of pH, which is worse than having an "imperfect" pH all the time. There are buffering products that can be used safely to maintain pH at a desired level, but in most cases they are completely unnecessary.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Tapsafe is a dechlorinator. You only need a dechlorinator if you have chloramine in your tap water. If you have chlorine, you can let the water stand overnight before adding it to the aquarium; chlorine evaporates (chloramine does not).

You can check with your local water supplier to find out whether you have chlorine or chloramine (or neither) in your water.

-Eva

Mschaefer

Reaction score
At the behest of the bio professor, I've been using a (literal) drop of "aqua clear" whenever I change my tank's water. My Dad (used to breed fish) recommended I try "Ammo Lock," apparently a dechlorinator/ammonia remover. Thought?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have to stand down on this one; I have no idea. Hopefully someone else will..?

-Eva

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I use ammo lock in my tanks and love it. Ammo lock is in fact a chlorine and chloramine remover, however it doesn't remove ammonia it just makes it non-toxic (don't ask me how cause I have no clue:D).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ammo-lock converts ammonia to ammonium, which is less toxic. However, by using ammo-lock, you basically strangle your biological cycle. Without having ammonia to feed the bacteria, you will not have a correct biological cycle.

Personally, I use the simplest dechlorinator possible, and I only use about half the dosage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!