Shedding?

Markw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do axies shed? Ive never heard of amphibians shedding, but I was reading on here recently and read something about it. I dont remember which thread I was reading or what it said about it, but it said something about axies and shedding. This may sound stupid, but if they do, Id like to know. :happy:

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, axies do shed skin. This is more apparent in dark coloured axies.

Cheers

I had some fire bellied newts that used to shed their skin and then eat it, almost always. Although sometimes they only ate some or none. Looked like a ghost newt in the tank, kinda neat. I also had a tree frog who used to eat his skin. He would bite it then pull it off from himself as he ate it. So I imagine Oxolotls are probably are similar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back