Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident

Berrie

Reaction score
I posted the other week about the fiasco Frida and I had with river rocks in her tank. She seems to be quite happy and normal now, but I came home this morning, and she has what looks like a large piece of dead skin on her chest/belly up to her chin. It seems to be flaking off constantly, and I don't think it's fungus, because her gills are clear, and it isn't 'bumpy', it's all one big white area. Should I be concerned? Could it be bacteria? I'm being very vigilant about water quality, and there's currently minimal ammonia, and no nitrates and nitrites. We had an ammonia spike the other day, because I was forced to be a 100% tank change - could this be it? Is there anything I should do apart from keeping on top of water quality? She seems generally ok and relaxed, it just looks odd, and makes me worry!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Berrie,

There seem to be many posts lately about axies being affected health wise by addition of new river rocks. I would rather err on the side of caution and remove those rocks. Some rocks may leach out substances that can be toxic to axies or carry with them harmful pathogens.

Could you put up photos of the axie so i can assess its condition?

You are doing the right thing by checking water parameters and performing water changes.If worried, the fridge is your friend. It will substantially slow down many bacterial illnesses.

Cheers.

Berrie

Reaction score
The rocks are gone, Rayson, and I've done a 100% water change. I didn't want to get rid of all the water, but I figured that an uncycled tank which I'm closely monitoring is safer than whatever the rocks had on them. I'll try and get a photo of her now :)
ETA - Gah, she's being uncooperative, I'll try and get one tomorrow, but atleast 50% of it seems to be gone since this morning.

Berrie

Reaction score
And it's all gone! Could it just have been peeling skin? She still seems quite happy and unconcerned by the whole event.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!