Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are these Axi's healthy? (pics)

Zandy94

Reaction score
So these are some pics, bare in mind they were taken a while back. These are from the person I'm getting the blue off of.

10410179_1432160033729316_7856008426868806078_n.jpg

I had someone on another website tell me they look unhealthy. I want other peoples opinions as I think they look fine. They are currently 6 months of age, and like I said this was taken quite a while back. The Albino has a slight gash on its arm as it was bitten by its sibling. I have the tank and everything set up, and the only other option I have is to buy them from a pet store (which I DO NOT want to do) as there are no breeders local to me other than Birmingham.

Please give me all the deets you can! :(:confused:

HayleyK

Reaction score
It looks a little unhealthy.. Too pink (irritated?)/visible veins, on the thin side, gill filaments aren't too flash. What are your parameters and temperature? What do you feed and how often? You also need to remove those glass pebbles as they pose an impaction risk.

mackinthebox

Reaction score
It looks a little unhealthy.. Too pink (irritated?)/visible veins, on the thin side, gill filaments aren't too flash. What are your parameters and temperature? What do you feed and how often? You also need to remove those glass pebbles as they pose an impaction risk.

OP does not have the axolotls in his possession, the pics are from the person he is buying them from

Zandy94

Reaction score

Thank you, and no these are not in my possession. Does this look serious? If they are a little malnourished I could just keep an eye on him (blue) and feed him. The pics are also OLD so please bare this in mind. Breeder said they are healthy looking and has had a lot of experience.

mackinthebox

Reaction score
Thank you, and no these are not in my possession. Does this look serious? If they are a little malnourished I could just keep an eye on him (blue) and feed him. The pics are also OLD so please bare this in mind. Breeder said they are healthy looking and has had a lot of experience.

I already distrust your breeder
if theyre good breeders theyre going to be using sand or bare bottom for the tanks
those pics show theyre using little glass beads for substrate, this is a no no, even for their size
If theyre growing out in that tank those little beads will eventually be swallowed
If the breeder is unaware of this refer them to this site, there is lots of info here for their proper care
I would ask for current pics of the axolotl too, if they cant or refuse to it would again give me reason to distrust them

auntiejude

Reaction score
Looks a little on the thin side, but that is fixable.
Visible veins are a worry - usually water quality though and again, it will get better.

I too would be worried about those glass pebbles - you really don't want to take on an axie with one of those in its digestive system. I wouldn't buy from someone who kept axies on glass pebbles though - it possibly indicates a lack of knowledge that might point to other problems too.

Zandy94

Reaction score
Looks a little on the thin side, but that is fixable.
Visible veins are a worry - usually water quality though and again, it will get better.

I too would be worried about those glass pebbles - you really don't want to take on an axie with one of those in its digestive system. I wouldn't buy from someone who kept axies on glass pebbles though - it possibly indicates a lack of knowledge that might point to other problems too.

I'll call him tomorrow and ask about the pebbles. I did think that too, but surely they won't be able to swallow it yet so if I get one soon I might be able to nick it just in time

mackinthebox

Reaction score
I'll call him tomorrow and ask about the pebbles. I did think that too, but surely they won't be able to swallow it yet so if I get one soon I might be able to nick it just in time

I wouldnt want to take that risk myself, you would wind up with a sick lotl and possibly be responsible for paying for vet bills if its serious

HayleyK

Reaction score

You would be suprised what can fit in it's mouth. Ever seen a yawning axolotl? Their mouths are huge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1