Photo: Hi I'm new thought I'd share

AngieBaby

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Axolotl keeping so thought I'd introduce myself and my little guys.
I'm Angie and I have 4 Axo's in 2 tanks.
I have Chunk, my biggest boy hes a wild type with gold speckles.
Dobby my male leucistic
Bellatrix my female. The debate is still open as to whether shes just a very dark wild type or a melanoid.

And finally baby Luna. A golden albino whose sex is yet to be discovered (although given the name I'm hoping female!)

Trying to upload some pics but it's taking a while so they might not show :-/

Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 392
My Dobby. He's been in the wars bless him his tails broken in 2 places so its a bit red and bumpy. He's able to swim again now at least though and it hasn't affected his appetite!

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 297
Hello and welcome the forum! :D

Nice looking lotls you have there. Good luck with them :) -Seth

And lastly, my first, baby Luna. I got her (I'm wishful thinking here) with half her gills missing, no legs and half a tail and in just 2 weeks we now have legs and toes and feathers on gills again!

By the way yes that's a shes sitting on, but its switched off. The attachment for it is glued to the tank so I leave the heater in there so there's no sharp bits of plastic sticking out

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 283
Your welcome :)

Good job getting these lotls healthier! Congrats!

Easy way to tell if the axie is a wild type or a melanoid is checking their eyes. Wild types have rings in their eyes, but melanoids don't.

I had read that but I keep questioning if I can see a ring or not...
The skin round her eyes is lighter but the eyes themselves look completely black. Until I get the big camera out and then I think I can see a very faint dark brown ring! She has no shine to her skin either.
Lol I fear I have a little too much time on my hands!

Her picture is the first one I'd welcome any opinions :)

Welcome to the forum! Bellatrix looks like a melanoid to me :)

Thanks for the replies guys sorry it's taken so long to get back to you!

I had been hoping someone would say melanoid :)
Only cos it means I nearly have 1 of each of the common types, just need a standard albino now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back