Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water Quality Questions

Huskar

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Right now I'm little confused about my water quality and Currently my water test shows that there is no ammonia, no nitrite but little nitrate around 5, also water hardness is at around 150 and total alkalinity is at 40 and ph at 7.8

What is the optimum water quality for Axolotls? and what do I need to change in my water quality? also what can I do to meet the best quality?

Thank you for taking time!

sully

Reaction score
I would assume the best water quality would be to keep everything in the safe zones as it is for a fish aquarium ( should be on the test kit). That one I'm not 100% sure but the best way to fix it is doing frequent partial water changes. Also removing left over food and poop as you notice it. Hope this helps a little

cabbysarus

Reaction score
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph are great :) I'm not sure about the other two levels, but they sound fine to me.

sde

Reaction score
In a cycled tank, the Ammonia should be 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate <40 ppm, pH 6-8 ppm ( and consistent ). However having the Nitrate higher that 5 ppm is probably a good idea, that way your tank can handle more bio load if necessary.
Partial water changes should be done every week to keep the Nitrate level below 40. At least 10% of the water should be removed and replenished with dechlorinated water.
Here are some useful links if you haven't seen them already :)

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Bottled Water for Amphibians -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!