Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cooling?

Bloodchilling

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm getting ready to get my first axolotl, i have a 20gallon long tank that is finishing up cycling and has a wire mesh cover but my last concern for the tank is keeping the temperature down, i live in southern New England ( Rhode Island to be exact) and right now the tank seems to be getting into the low 70s if left alone. It usually doesn't get hotter than 90F outside in the summer. I can't really afford a chiller except for the
Chill Solutions CSXC-1 Aquarium Chiller Installation Kit that's On the Doctors Foster and Smith website has anyone used this product?
I also have heard of people setting up fans that blow across the top of the tank as a more cost effective way of keeping the temperature down does anyone have any advice about that? Maybe can post a picture of what there setup looks like( I'm a more visual person) or can let me know just how effective this method is? I really want to make sure everything is perfect.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Hey! Ive been told thats PC case fans can be modified to aim on your tank! My bf just happend to have 3 computer cooling fans in boxes,so that is what ill be hooking up to my 75 gal this summer...YouTube has lots of DIY ideas on aquarium cooling...just a thought. Also computer fans are really quiet too!!!!

Hoagii

Reaction score
I've gone through two fairly hot summers with my axolotl and kept him at a safe temp with just fans.

I've attached a picture of my usual set up of my 30g tank. I have a small desk-sized fan on top of a screen lid that's angled towards the water. That's it! I use a bigger fan on hotter days, but it's basically the same thing.

For your first summer with your axolotl, plan to monitor the temperature closely. Maybe get a thermometer for outside the tank so you can get an idea of what room temperature = what tank temperature. I usually keep frozen water bottles and dechlorinated ice cubes on hand just in case, but I haven't had to use them.

Attachments

• mytank.jpg
    mytank.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 346

mistymuse

Reaction score
Hi Jamie, I'm a new axolotl owner too. I want to point out that the Drs. Foster and Smith product you mentioned is not a chiller at all, only an installation kit (tubing, pump, etc) and the chiller is sold separately. I have not tried this, but it's possible to make a similar chiller for a cheap price. Link to instructions: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/221026-the-15-poor-mans-nano-chiller-by-c-buzz/

I'm keeping my air conditioner at 65 degrees F and my tank is about 68-69. I ordered a Lasko Clip Stik desk fan to help get it down to hopefully 65 or so, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It seems like a powerful fan and it can be clipped onto the tank and angled in any direction.

carsmiku

Reaction score
A chiller 100%. I tried every way possible for my 4 adult axolotls, wasted alot of time and money. In the end I found a used chiller. Plug and play set up no worries. Saved me so much STRESS you wont believe it. I paid 150 for the chiller and all the DYI set me back over 200. Get a chiller.

and I live in Texas.

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
To cool down my tank I originally got a cooling fan, but the temps were still a bit high. I just ended up moving them to my sewing area in the basement because that was the only way to keep them happy and fungus free. However since you do happen to have a medium sized tank you could buy a chiller. I would recommend looking at fishtankadvisor's list of good chillers. I've heard of a method where you place a canister filter in a styrofoam cooler filled with ice, but I would only recommend that with large tanks. I hope it goes well for you:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!