Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newt

Dannyconsta

Reaction score
So I recently bought 3 alpine newts (Triturus alpestris) had them about 2 week
They don't seem to be eating or I haven't seem them eat I've tried putting bloodworm in the water tried putting on a rock and moss and putting on a rock in 5ml of water also I've tried putting them in a container with water and also just wet tissue and doesn't seem like they eat also covered the container partially and they don't seem to want to go in the water only to move to more land I've had high temps sometimes but even when cool they don't also tried to feed them crickets in a container even dangling them in front with tweezers also tried pellets with no look any help will be much appreciated thanks
Chy2Jk7
iDNwNia
[/IMG]
Last pic is old setup

Dannyconsta

Reaction score
Just a little more info the site which I purchased them from says they are Triturus alpestris and I've tried to keep the temp at around 20 21 but it has risen a few times with the hot weather but they still don't enter the water even at 18 a couple of them will lie in the water on a rock though

Jensino

Reaction score
Except for breeding season, which can last from February until June, alpine newts live strictly on land. They will not enter water until next year. Therefore you can offer them a terrarium for the rest of the year. Do not forget to place some hiding spots in there to reduce stress. If the newts have no places to hide under they are stressed out and won't eat.

Try to dig out some earthworms from your backyard. Usually newts can't withstand them. :D

Dannyconsta

Reaction score
Ok thank you should I cut the worms into like say 10 to 13 ml what temperature should I keep the water at when they are not breeding

Jensino

Reaction score
Small earthworms/nightcrawlers up to 10 cm do not need to be cut.
(Water-)Temperatures should be around 20 °C in summer and less in autumn and spring (the lower the better). Do not use artificial heating.

Hibernation during the winter increases the chances for successful breeding and is recommended to ensure the general health.
This caresheet provides all the necessary information.

Dannyconsta

Reaction score
thanks got 1 to eat from tweezers and left 2 worms in and was gone in the morning not sure if was the worms or because they had more hiding spots in temp housing got them in tank now going to let them settle for a day and try again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1