Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Daphnia worms? How to get rid of.

Guido1224

Reaction score
I have had my 3 axolotls for three years now. I recently changed the brand of frozen bloodworms I feed them and the last time live plants were in the aquarium was over 6 mos ago. Literally overnight there was a TON of these little squiggly jerky white worm all over the glass. I presume them to be daphnia?? Are they dangerous to the fish? I've read they can be unnoticed for quite some time before an "explosion" in population. I just want to get rid of them, they creep me out and I feel like they watch me when I sleep. (The tank is in the bedroom). Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 9,494

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
They are from over feeding and or not enough water changes. Try to change 20% of water weekly and vacuum. Good luck

Kochebi

Reaction score
Do you have any type of substrate in your tank? I've read that they like to live in substrate, but can be driven out in mass numbers if the oxygen level is low. Like was said before, do regular water changes, make sure you don't leave excess food laying around in the tank (you could even feed outside the tank, or put a little dish in the bottom of the tank to put food in for easy removal). Also, if you do have a sand substrate make sure to stir it occasionally! If it's less than an inch maybe once every other week or once a month or so, but if it's deeper than an inch or so try to do it at least once a week! This will also prevent toxic gasses from building up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!