Andersoni, Axolotl or a hybrid?

Just wanted to give you a picture update on Skittles. She is starting to regrow toes and gills! Still as golden as usual :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 578
I saw your pics on facebook, I was quite surprised to see some people claiming that this animal was pure A.andersoni and in the process of morphing, has it morphed yet ? :)

On facebook? haha where on facebook? And no, Skittle isn't in the process of morphing, today I have owned her for 1 months :D And her gills are in the process of growing back. It looks so funny now, because some of the "hair" on her gills grows faster then others so she have a few long ones just pointing out randomly :D

Just wanted to add a new update. Skittles gills are almost fully back now :)

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,067
Skittles looks very Andersoni-ish to me.

looks to me as a andersoni /cross copper axolotl ,markings of andersoni ,semi but not full web rear feet ,its pretty though ,a guy i know keeps andersoni in salt/brackish water higher temps than axololts and there doing fine ,but that pattern is andersoni just not the gold/copper colouration ,keep it its a gem of the Ambystoma world ;)

To me it looks like a "stardburst" color morph which is just a wildtype axolotl with a high amount of irodiphores.

either way - gorgeous salamander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back