The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 4th October 2018   #1
Leannmd

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Leannmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bright Red Gills?!

Hey guys! So I am new to life as an axolotl mother and I am not sure what is normal and what is not so I am here for help! I currently have a juvenile axi, named Jasper, who is still tubbed as I am waiting for the tank to finish cycling and every morning when i check on him his gills are BRIGHT red. It is only in the mornings the rest of the time his gills are a dark red/black color. Is this normal?! I know they get brighter when they are active so is he just acting crazy at night? The water is around 62F and I have been doing 100% water changes daily with treated water. Am I worried over nothing?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	54427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	54428  

Leannmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Bright Red Gills?!

I think they look great. You can do a search on "gills" and find a ton of information.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, bright, discoloration, gills, juvenile, sick, sickness