Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice needed - very sick axolotl

Hannah02

Reaction score
Help! My large male axolotl has been refusing food for nearly 2 weeks. He seemed other wise OK until a few days ago when he started floating from his rear end. He could only stay down if he wedged himself under something and he was getting stressed out. I found blood in the tank and thought maybe he had damaged his gills.

I have moved him to a smaller holding tank with just enough water to cover him so that he can keep his feet on the floor. He seemed less stressed but was still refusing food. However I have checked on him today and he is bringing up blood (kind of retching and bringing up blood). What else can I do to help him? Would fridging him be of any benefit?

His girlfriend was in the same tank as him and seems fine.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
My initial thought is impaction. Though, I am not sure about the blood. Try and attach some pictures if you can of the axolotl and what it has brought up (if there's anything). What substrate do you have? What was he eating?
If it is impaction then fridging is the way to go. The guide is on the sick axolotl forum I believe if you need it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!