Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: What is wrong with my axie

axolotlgirl101

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been an axi owner for the past 3 year and I have struggled immensely.

my axi journey first begun with a black axi, who was healthy to begin with but over time refused to eat, I am still not sure what went wrong there to this day it may have been a number of things, fungus or something. Moral of that story was I was not prepared I had not done enough research and I just wasn't ready to be an axi owner. So a year went by after that tragedy and I decided I wanted to try again, I did so much research this time, I got a new tank, new sponge filters, new pumps, got rip of the sand substrate I had before, got new bigger hides, I cycled the tank for serval months everything was looking good I thought I was ready and I was. I got my white axi Ron and around 6 months later I got a black girl Serena. they were both doing great, eating heaps, I was doing regular water changes, they both got along so well, all good, big fat healthy axis.

However around 3 months ago is when things started going bad. Ron started floating, all the time, he was floating constantly and struggling to get to the bottom, his tail forcing him to the surface, although throughout this time he was still eating, less then usual but still eating so I wasn't worried. then he refused to eat, I panicked and put him in the fridge in a shallow container, doing everyday 100% water changes, I had him in there for around 4 days when he finally stopped floating in the shallow container, he got real skinny in this time, I spent the next 3 days acclimating him back to the tank water temp, then I put him in a quarantine tank to make sure he would eat again. Throughout all this Serena was still eating good and acting normal. Everyday I put Ron in a small container again and I put blood worm cubes in there, put the lid on and let him sit for a bit, it doesn't look like he eats anything but I think he's started gaining weight, he still won't eat any worms or anything big and I can only feed him the blood worms in a small container so I'm worried thats stressing him out moving him in to that container every day or second day. so that's Rons current situation. Serena on the other hand, last night when Ron was in his container, I did a small water change on the big tank then I tired to feed Serena, she refused, usually she eats 2 or 3 earthworms every 2 or 3 nights and she always wants more. but tonight she refused I tired serval times over a few hours and she wasn't having it, then she did the weirdest thing her ever seen, she started trying to jump out of the tank, like put her whole head of out the water pushing herself with her tail (the water is quite shallow) she was jumping up and down the tank very aggressively pushing herself with her tail, trying to climb up the wall, I was freaking out, then she went over to her hide and climbed right onto of it her whole body out of the water and her head sticking right up, I didn't want to touch her, she looked mad, the she sat there for like 2 mins then climbed back into the water and stopped jumping she just sat still like normal, I haven't tried feeding her again dunno what this means. please help my poor axis please, thank you

ps my water quality is perfect, pH is on about a 6 though, thank you xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!