The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 10th October 2019   #1
lovebird141

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lovebird141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I treat my axolotls tank for fungus?

Hi I have looked into treating axolotls for fungus and I am about to start treatment some fuzz popped up on my axolotls gills overnight and I will be tubbing her and giving her salt baths. Should I treat the tank too other than just doing a good water change and making sure there isnít anything causing the water to be of a lower quality? Iím worried about ruining the cycle in the tank but it also seems like putting an axolotl back into a tank which is possibly infected sounds bad too. Does the fungus even survive in the tank or is it only on my axolotl?

lovebird141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Should I treat my axolotls tank for fungus?

Pop some indian almond leaves in the tank. It helps the axolotl heal and can assist in keeping fungus away. Make sure your tank is under 18 degrees celcius as it is less likely to show up in cooler water. Keep an eye for fungus chunks in the water, some fungus can come off the axolotl as it moves.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Should I treat my axolotls tank for fungus?

Fungal spores will be in all tanks, unless the axolotl has a breached slime coat it doesnt matter as they wont be infected. Poor water quality and/or too high a temp damage slime coat, as does a physical injury. If the water quality has dropped it needs to be changed and tank maintenance improved to prevent reoccurance.