The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 27th September 2018   #1
eveaxolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: eveaxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEED HELP ... found worms in tank

Hey everyone so I need some help. I just upgraded one of my axolotls from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon and after I made the switch I noticed tiny white whippy worms and white little parasites in her tank. I went and looked at the old tank and there are a lot that I never noticed. I need to know what to do about them. From people I talked to they say treat the axolotl. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7B81C2A-8447-40EE-93BE-BD84FE03352B.png
Views:	96
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	54380   Click image for larger version

Name:	C9B40B5C-88B9-467C-96FF-993C908C02E0.png
Views:	90
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	54381  

eveaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2018   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: NEED HELP ... found worms in tank

Have a read of this: https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018   #3
Tya123

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tya123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED HELP ... found worms in tank

Hi eveaxolotl. I literally had the same issue and was in a panic three days ago. I've attached a picture of what I found (tried to at least). Please ignore the dried water stains. Your issue is more than likely planaria. Don't panic, this is actually a good thing! It means you are building a natural, functional ecosystem in your aquarium that will keep your axolotl healthy in the long term. They won't directly hurt your axolotl, but since they live off of uneaten food, an outbreak may mean you should either clean the tank more often or feed less often, or both. My buddy is super messy when he eats, so since my recent planaria outbreak, I vacuumed his tank and put a little sushi soy-sauce dish in the bottom of his tank to reduce mess. I saw a drastic reduction in days.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plenaria.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	54527  

Tya123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parasites, sick axolotl