The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 19th November 2018   #1
Indy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Indy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Floating consistently

Hi this is my first post on this forum
So a bit of back story, I got my wild kind of axolotl in April so around 7 months ago and he is now 1 and a half years old
For the last month mooshoo has been floating more and more regularly and now he/she (Iím not sure) is consistently at the top of the tank
I checked the water parameters consistently and they are all perfectly normal
His gills are not curved forward, his tail isnít kinky and heís not discolouring and he doesnít show any other obvious signs of sickness
He eats earth worms regularly but he isnít as big as a lot of axolotls I see pictures of (def notunderweight)
I live in Sydney aus so it does get hot but I have really good air conditioner in my room so his temperature stays cool
I barely ever see poops so im not sure if itís constipation - im just not sure why he would be constipated for so long
Iím really worried that itís a fungus or infection thatís keeping him up the top
Iíve only had reptiles before him so Iím not sure how to diagnose or fix any serious illness if he does have one
Any help would be appreciated!

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2018   #2
NinjaNewt

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NinjaNewt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Floating consistently

This is exactly what mine is doing, Iíd try changing the water and checking ammonia levels. I just changed the water and he came back down to the ground, but he just likes to float for the most part.

NinjaNewt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, constipated, floating, fridging, fungus, illness, infection, sickness