The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 25th February 2019   #1
Sapphires

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sapphires is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation My dark axolotl has growing green patches and now rest of her skin is turning lighter

It doesnt seem furry but something is definitely going on and i cant find any solutions. Need any advice anyone has please, i dont want to loose my baby. Shes acting fine. No tail curling or obvious signs of distress

Sapphires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: My dark axolotl has growing green patches and now rest of her skin is turning lighter

Please post a picture. How big is it? It could just be normal pigment.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019   #3
Sapphires

Nationality:
Default Re: My dark axolotl has growing green patches and now rest of her skin is turning lighter

What program/app does everyone use to upload pictures

Old 11th March 2019   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Posting pics:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gene...-pictures.html

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019   #5
Sapphires

Nationality:

First the yellow spots appeared. Now they have spread and some small areas of whitish areas on him untill the other day his arm seems to be detaching itself. Hes eating and moving around his tank like normal. None of my other axys are ill atal. Water is healthy. Ive put him on antibiotics from the vets today by separating him into his own tank and putting it in his water and using pellet food as they soak up the water to get enough of the antibiotic into his system. Fingers crossed. Ive reared this one since egg stage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190311_141254.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	55145  

Old 12th March 2019   #6
Krispy

Nationality:
Rep: Krispy has shown reliable knowledge

Tubbing him like you are is the best thing for him right now. But if the spots persist after a while and don't go away, please consider that your axolotl might have vitiligo. Extended treatment on antibiotics could become stressful if he is actually healthy. Axolotls can have vitiligo, and in fact, it is not uncommon. If it is vitiligo, it is not harmful to your axie's health. Just expect those spots to take up most of his body.

Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019   #7
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Tubbing is also probably a good idea to get that arm healed. Try and keep the water fairly cool to help. Did the vet give you antibiotics for this or for the patches? If it's for the arm you may not need to use them as it will heal on it's own.
Like Krispy said it could be like vitiligo. I don't think axies actually get vitiligo but the word is the best description as it is physically very similar. There's been a few over the last year on this site if you do a search for it. Are the patches on top of the skin or does it look to be part of the skin?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019   #8
Sapphires

Nationality:
Talking Re: My dark axolotl has growing green patches and now rest of her skin is turning lighter

It appears to be part of the skin as its not raised abover the skin. After a week of separation i put him back in with his friends. Hes alot happier now hes back and florishing. His arm came off and its healing and looking healthy so it must just be a skin condition

Old 9th April 2019   #9
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Update with photos in the next few months so we can see changes in the patches. If it is the same as the other posts I've seen it's super interesting to see it change!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green, ill axolotl, sick axolotl, yellow