The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th August 2019   #1
KatanaSoul

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KatanaSoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl with black marks and strange lump

I thought that now might be the time to bring this up. My leucistic axolotl, Finnegan has had these black marks appearing along his back, along with a strange lump. I came here to find out information, and I read that it's normal for older axies to develop dark marks and the occasional lump, so I brushed it aside.

Today however, I noticed he was thrashing about a little, it looked like he was trying to twist his body to get at the lump. I was also concerned how big it was growing, so I separated finnegan from his tank mate to inspect it. I gently rubbed his side with a cotton bud, only to find the black marks were coming off (and he twitched sharply like it caused him pain.)

I feel terribly guilty that I should've noticed this sooner. Is there anything I can do to treat this lump and black 'mold'?

There's also an unrelated bump on his forehead that he's had for years. (image 3)

https://i.imgur.com/1INLejm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gbUxhIB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3mzGCK5.jpg

The short nub gills are a result of another slightly more aggressive wild type tank mate.
Finn hasn't had any trouble eating. He still eats regularly, albeit with a little less 'gusto' than he used to.

KatanaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019   #2
KatanaSoul

Nationality:
Default Re: Axolotl with black marks and strange lump

Bumping this.

Old 3rd September 2019   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I think the black is not as worrisome as the bloated looking chin. I wish an axie keeper would weigh in; I've never kept axies.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019   #4
KatanaSoul

Nationality:

Bumping again.

Old 17th September 2019   #5
KatanaSoul

Nationality:

Another bump.

Old 17th September 2019   #6
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The bloated throat is often a sign of bacterial infection , i havent a clue about the black marks.