The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Anura: Frogs & Toads For discussion of frogs and toads.

Old 22nd September 2019   #1
Chelsie08

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chelsie08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spring peeper care?

Iíve recently acquired two spring peepers and would like to get some experience owning them. Only problem is that there is so little care information on them. I was wonder if anyone has had them before and/or can give me some tips on their care and requirements. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Chelsie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019   #2
Kansamander

Nationality:
Rep: Kansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and information
Default Re: Spring peeper care?

I have a couple of spring peepers that I keep with my Smallmouth sallys to clean up any fruit flies or gnats. I've seen them eat small pillbugs and crickets too.

If your pet store offers pinhead crickets, they'll be great. You can also leave an open bag of iceberg lettuce mix or fruit around for several days in a beaker, and then tap the beaker in your tank for fruit flies.

They like to burrow, and are active at night. They're actually very pretty frogs.

Kansamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019   #3
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Spring peeper care?

I've kept them in the past. They do well in a planted vivarium, with a tight-fitting lid. I can't emphasize this enough- they can squeeze through a very tiny crack.
They should be kept relatively cool, and be given lots of plants and branches to climb on. They need humidity, and a small water dish should be provided.
For food, they will eat nearly any tiny, live insect that will fit in their mouths. Small crickets, isopods, dubia, bean beetles, and fruit flies are all easily obtainable.
They should not be handled except when necessary.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote