The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 25th April 2008   #1
reptilekid714

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: reptilekid714 has started on the right path
Default Pac man frog vs pixie frog

Which do more people have.

reptilekid714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008   #2
Lasher

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 0
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I used to keep a pac man frog as left over food disposal when I was raising a number of newts and dragon hatchlings at the same time. It worked quite well!
Never kept a pixie.
Neither right now, but I'll likely get another pac man if/when I get a new dragon.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008   #3
lestat

Nationality:
Rep: lestat has started on the right path

I have a Pyxie. Used to have a pacman as well, but I like the Pyxie better, I think.

lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008   #4
Lasher

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I suppose it depends on your circumstances but for insectoid waste disposal pac mans are unrivalled.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008   #5
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Pac-man frogs are more readily available than pixies in the US, or at least the midwest. Maybe it's different other places?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008   #6
Mike
(bobberly1)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Pac man frog vs pixie frog

I saw both at Petco today. The Pacan is a permanent offering though. The Pixie's scientific name was incorrectly labeled Pixus bufo. Come again?

bobberly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008   #7
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Pyxie is a more (re)-active frog. They also get less stressed if not provided with hardcore cover.

Old 24th July 2008   #8
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I raised a pacman years ago and seem to remember not seeing it much once it had some size to it. I currently have a pixie that my wife (then girlfriend) bought at a herp show several years ago. I remember trying to talk her out of the purchase initially (because I knew that I would be the one actually caring for it) but it was either the pixie or a white's treefrog. I used to keep white's for years so I knew that the pixie would be easier to house. I'll have to admit that I really like it now. She (I think) does hide/burrow quite a bit but overall is much more visible than I remember the pacman being.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008   #9
Andrea
(arienette)

Nationality:
Rep: arienette has given good advice and informationarienette has given good advice and informationarienette has given good advice and information

I have both pacmans (3 actually) and a pyxie frog. I don't like to pick favorites because they are like children to me (semi-serious), but I think if I only had one frog of the two I would have the pacman. S/he is adult size and just generally really neat to look at. The pyxie is much more active at feeding, though. Adult pyxies are supposed to have a terrible bite, mine is a year and a half so I'll see when time goes on. My pacman can draw blood from a bite, though...

My pacman was always buried in the substrate when it was young, and the first 6 months or so you will be looking at dirt. Now he won't regularly cover himself completely although he has the oppourtunity to.

In short, I have both. (Are you looking to get one or the other, Reptile Kid?)

arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009   #10
Umpqua

Nationality:
Rep: Umpqua is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a small pet business out of my home and I do not carry pac mans anymore, because everyone has them. It is hard to go into a pet store and not see one. I carry pixies cause they have more personality and they are harder to find. However, I have found a wholesaler so I pretty much hold the market in my county on pixies.

Umpqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009   #11
Kazerella

Nationality:
Rep: Kazerella is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Pacman and he's a brilliant pet. Never had a Pyxie though so can't compare them really, but I think you won't be disappointed with a Pacman.

Kazerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010   #12
RJF

Nationality:
Rep: RJF is an unknown quantity at this point

I have kept both pacs and pyxies in the past - and an adult male pixie is MUCH more impressive than adult pacmans! I would also add that the bites of both species is really painfull, and should be avoided at all costs.

RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, man, pac, pixie