The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 12th June 2010   #1
Deano
(futura2000)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: futura2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salamander substrate - Komodo tropical terrain

Just looking for some information on some substrate i was planning on using for my spotted sals and fire sals (different viv's). Its called Komodo tropical terrain compact brick, it seems to be marketed towards the rain forest set up, it states it can be used dry, moist or even wet. I know neither of these species are tropical but i thought using this stuff in a damp state or with a suitable moisture gradient would be fine. If anyone could offer any insight i'd grately appreciate it.

Many thanks, Dean.

futura2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Salamander substrate - Komodo tropical terrain

As far as I can tell, that is just the usual coconut fiber (coir) bedding. Same stuff as Bed-a-beast, Eco-earth, etc etc. This article discusses pros and cons of various substrates:
Caudata Culture Articles - Vivarium Substrates