Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White dot on my axolotl's eye?

KassMillerr

Reaction score
Yesterday I realized there was a tiny piece of gravel on top of his right eye. I then caught him in a net and let him wiggle around a bit in it, the tiny chunk of gravel came off, but today when I woke up I noticed he had a tiny grey/white dot on his eye where the gravel was. He is also currently undergoing treatment for a fungal infection. Could that possibly be just some fungus on his eye? Or a scratch from the gravel? If its a scratch, how do I help my little baby cake :( PLEASEEE HELP :(

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Hi if it's a scratch then it should heal itself.
To avoid something similar happening or worse I suggest you switch from gravel to sand or bare bottom tank as unfortunately axolotls tend to swallow gravel which then causes serious complications x

KassMillerr

Reaction score
He now has it on both eyes, completely even, since he's undergoing treatment is it possible the artificial slime coat is just on his eyes as well??? :eek: Because he didn't have a gravel fleck in the other eye.

hdonahue

Reaction score
PLEASE switch to sand or bare bottom tank before a hefty vet bill and possible death occur.

Axolotls feed by vacuum force to inhale their food into their mouth. Axolotls also snap at any movement which puts them at an increased risk for impaction or getting stones stuck in their stomach or intestines ultimately causing death.

Any one on this forum will beg and plead you to immediately remove all the gravel from your tank and replace it with sand or just have a bare bottom.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the gravel from your tank!!:cry:
If you need more reason search for the many heart wrenching impaction stories.

Chirple

Reaction score
Yep, having your axolotl swallow gravel and then get constipated is not pretty and can be fatal. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!