Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey there guys and gals

Jay87

Reaction score
Well hello there!!! Names Jason but friends just call me Jay. I'm 25 from Minnesota. I had my first amphibian when I was around 10. It was a tiger salamander larvea that I had in a 20 gallon tank. I wasn't sure what he was at the time and when he escaped from the aquarium I always wanted another. The Pet store I got him from closed down and it wasn't until I was about 21 that I seen an axolotl and they peeked my interest again.
Not to long after I found a breeder and had 4 young axolotls sent to me. They are one of my favorite pets I've ever had, and I've had a lot. I like researching and getting different reptiles and animals trying to breed them and enjoy the full experience. Not long after I bred my axolotls I moved to a home that was on the warm side and had to give up my adults.
For the past 2 years everytime I walk into the pet shop in town the owner asks me if I have any more babies for him since when I did breed them they went quick and he made a nice profit. They are amazing what can I say. So recently I just moved back in with my parents while I start up a new business. I dont plan on making a lot of money for a year or two but since I will have more time at home and now that I am able to have them in a colder area I really want to get a couple again. I found this forum and decided to join.
And this is my introduction, hope this place can help me start back up :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1