Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Talladega National forest

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Theyre trying to sell 10% of it to drill for oil. What could stop it? Could a neotenic population of two lined sals be in danger? What will happen to the animals???

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt Two-Lined Salamanders will raise any eyebrows, unfortunately. On the wider topic, this kind of thing is not uncommon, particularly in the more Republican states like Alabama (before anyone tries to make this political, I only say this because Republican politicians have a track record of favoring private land ownership versus public ownership).

Frankly I'm amazed that there is as much public land in AL as there is right now. To put things in perspective, have you ever heard of the Red Hills Salamander, Phaeognathus hubrichti? It's the only species in its genus and it's found only in the Red Hills of Alabama (from the edge of the Alabama River in the west, to the Conecuh river in the east). It has been known to science for only 50 years, and it is listed as Federally Threatened. It should be Federally Endangered in my opinion. Anyhow, every speck of land where this species is found is private property with the exception of two small parcels of publicly-owned land. And do you know who owns that private property? Commercial Timber Harvesters. It's some kind of ecological nightmare.

I sympathize with your loss, but it's not high on the significance scale when compared to other problems facing salamanders in Alabama. At least Two-Lined Salamanders are found elsewhere. Red Hills Salamanders can't live anywhere else but in the Red Hills, due to the consistency of the soil, topology, and forest growth.

Lamb

Reaction score
I'm curious about the "neotenic" population of two-lined sals as well. As far as I was aware, paedomorphy didn't occur in that genera.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I'm curious about the "neotenic" population of two-lined sals as well. As far as I was aware, paedomorphy didn't occur in that genera.
Half the genus is neotenic: E.sosorum, E.troglodytes, E.nana, E.robusta, E.rathbuni, E.tynerensis [a complex of species which includes terrestrial multiplicata/griseogaster], etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!