Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first amphibian! with pictures :)

KardeAxol

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just joined the group.

So I went to a Reptile and aquatics centre the other day just to have a look around. I took home an Axolotl which I had never before heard anything about! At the same time a friend had given me a bigger tank for my fish. His name is Durnehvír named after a dragon from the Elder Scrolls.

KardeAxol

Reaction score
OOPS ! I pressed publish before I was ready haha!

Anyway here's some photos. Can members please look at my Axolotl and tell me if it looks healthy? Apparently it is around a year old, and I know it is a male. Just note that I'm aware the tank is a bit small and he shouldn't be housed with fish. As soon as I get my new tank things will change!

Attachments

• 20140203_111302#1.jpg
    20140203_111302#1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 279
  • 20140203_120056.jpg
    20140203_120056.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 20140203_120014.jpg
    20140203_120014.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 255

Kaini

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately you need to take your Axolotl out of that tank immediately, Axolotl's can't be kept on gravel. :( Either that or remove the gravel right away. Axolotls eat like little vacuums - they'll suck up the gravel and get impacted, which can lead to death. Even when they're not eating they like to poke at things, and if he ingests the gravel it's really bad for him.

What is the temperature in the tank? Axolotls need to be kept around 60-64 Degrees F (16-20 degrees C about) or they're prone to illness and heat stress. And as you said, he definitely shouldn't be kept with that fish.

KardeAxol

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately you need to take your Axolotl out of that tank immediately, Axolotl's can't be kept on gravel. :( Either that or remove the gravel right away. Axolotls eat like little vacuums - they'll suck up the gravel and get impacted, which can lead to death. Even when they're not eating they like to poke at things, and if he ingests the gravel it's really bad for him.

What is the temperature in the tank? Axolotls need to be kept around 60-64 Degrees F (16-20 degrees C about) or they're prone to illness and heat stress. And as you said, he definitely shouldn't be kept with that fish.

I know that it shouldn't be on gravel, the tank is just temporary for him. The tank is 25X45X25cm, the Axolotl 8 inc. and the water temperature is 19 degrees

Kaini

Reaction score
I know that it shouldn't be on gravel, the tank is just temporary for him. The tank is 25X45X25cm, the Axolotl 8 inc. and the water temperature is 19 degrees

Uh... you know this setup can potentially cause serious health problems for your animal and you're doing it anyway?

Until you get the proper setup for the Axolotl you can easily keep it in a plastic tub, with clean de-chlorinated water (changed daily). It would be much safer. :) You can use Tupperware containers (that have never been used for food) or get one of those cheap 10 gallon tubs at Wal-Mart.

Also I'd like the point out the minimum tank size for that Pleco you have there is 20 gallons. They grow huge and put out a lot of waste.

Kaini

Reaction score
Not many walmarts in Sweden I would think.

ERRRRRRR my mistake, you're absolutely right. It's just such a common thing to say for me, it's just 'store'. Which probably goes to show just how ridiculous they are here.

Silly me. Well, your local convenience store.

KardeAxol

Reaction score
Like I said, it is temporary! I'm picking up my new 50x92x50cm Aquarium tomorrow, and I've already bought sand :) Forgive me as I didn't have knowledge of how to keep them when I bought him, as soon as I got home I sat for hours reading research and many changes will happen :) Thank you for the help! And no, there are no Walmarts in Sweden. Infact, none at all in Europe! :)

Kaini

Reaction score
Like I said, it is temporary! I'm picking up my new 50x92x50cm Aquarium tomorrow, and I've already bought sand :) Forgive me as I didn't have knowledge of how to keep them when I bought him, as soon as I got home I sat for hours reading research and many changes will happen :) Thank you for the help! And no, there are no Walmarts in Sweden. Infact, none at all in Europe! :)

Good on you for doing your research! And you're right there are no walmarts in Europe, I'm still laughing at myself for saying that without thinking xD toooo many walmarts around here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1