Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's easier: aquatic or terrestrial?

Which is easier: aquatic or terrestrial?

• Strong preference for aquatic setups.

Votes: 94 32.4%
  • Moderate preference for aquatic setups.

Votes: 61 21.0%
  • No preference either way.

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • Moderate preference for terrestrial setups.

Votes: 52 17.9%
  • Strong preference for terrestrial setups.

Votes: 37 12.8%

• Total voters

adam15229

Reaction score
Another vote for terrestrial for many of the reasons already listed. No water changes, no testing water parameters, and terrestrial is easier to clean up.

elKendo97

Reaction score
Aquatic installations are more showy usually those acuácticos animals are much more assets than terrestrial, but I think that a ground tank is easier to maintain, change of substrate, spraying water occasionally, good ventilation and a pair refuges is all you need.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
My fire salamanders usually don't hide, they are usually out in the open probably hoping for more food lol but I have them in a very low traffic area, essentially their own room in a rather cool basement. For many years I kept barred tiger salamanders and they would often stay in the substrate partially but as soon as the lid was opened they would come up for food. To be honest, I don't spend a lot of time watching them as mentioned before they are not in a communal area. I enjoy spending 10-15 minutes a day watching them as they feed and when their enclosures need maintenance and that's enough for me. I also have a large collection of snakes keeping me busy, so if I had less animals perhaps I'd be more likely to spend large amounts of time looking at a single enclosure.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I find it easier to do a terrestrial, because it is easier for me to make sure all the variables are okay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!