Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating

Lorry88

Reaction score
Hi

With the recent heatwave I have been battling to keep my axolotls cool but on Friday night I lost one of my axolotls. Before she died her mouth looked quite large like it was full of food. She decided she wanted to hang out near the surface all the time and refused to eat.

Now my remaining axolotl also doesn't eat, when I tried feed her she blows air out rather than sucking the food out? I'm a bit lost as to what is wrong. Temperature is back down to normal and she generally looks okay, although a tiny bit of white stuff on her foot (she tends to get this on her gills, I've added some antibacterial in case)

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions as I don't want to lose another axolotl. I tested the water and ammonia was the only thing slightly higher as my pump had gone weird but I changed the water and pump is fully working.

Lorry88

Reaction score
Pictures below

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_205953.jpg
    IMG_20190729_205953.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20190729_210025.jpg
    IMG_20190729_210025.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20190729_210043.jpg
    IMG_20190729_210043.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 249

Lorry88

Reaction score
Update:

She searches for food and sucked up a pellet but then spat back out so not sure what to do?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Ammonia can cause issues so I would tub your axie until you can get the cycle sorted. What did you use to combat the fungus?

Lorry88

Reaction score
Hi Hayleyy

Thanks for responding, she is still alive and is eating but seems to have bumps around her mouth?

Ammonia is somewhere between 0 and 0.25 and I continue to do regular water changes.

Last week I was giving her salt baths daily and using Myxazin to treat fungus but she is looking fine otherwise this week.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Are you still doing salt baths? I haven't used that medication but it's on the list of safe meds so that shouldn't be contributing. What dosage did you use? From what I read it's a half dose med for axolotls.
Can you test your tap water for ammonia, before using dechlorinator? And what dechlorinator are you using? What are your nitrite and nitrate levels as well?
I think some bumps are normal, I don't see anything off in the pics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!