Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help - axolotl emergency

rustiscool

Reaction score
So I found a family member has two axolotls... in a fish tank with fish, as well as a small turtle. The turtle has a heatlamp and lights that shine right on the cage, and the axolotls' gills are practically gone since the turtle has been eating at them. The substrate is also rather large gravel. One of the axolotls seems to always be floating. I want to get them out of there. At short notice I have a ten gallon tank and water conditioner. I know ten gallons is small for two, but they're young and small and I cant do any better at short notice. I have no filter right now. My question is is it better to move the two into the ten gallon right away and clean it often, or should I take the time to actually let the new tank cycle? I know not cycling can be dangerous, but I'm not sure if its more dangerous than leaving them in the situation they're in.

Murk

Reaction score
It absolutely sounds like moving them is an improvement. Conditions in your new tank might not be great, but it won't be lethal like the old tank.

Uncycled tanks aren't dangerous per se (even without a filter), as long as you clean often and prevent ammonia spikes. They're just a lot of work. As long as you can keep that work up there's nothing dangerous about it.
Getting eaten by a turtle, now that's dangerous.

Great job on the rescue!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!