Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what does CB stand for?

cro117

Reaction score
I have a felling this is a very stupid question, but what does CB stand for exactly? i have a general idea from it's usage, it defiantly covers cynops, but i would like to know specifically.

Jake

Reaction score
"CB" means captive-bred, as in the animal's parents bred in captivity and the individual was raised entirely in a captive situation.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And the corresponding abbreviation: WC = wild-caught

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
"CB" means captive-bred, as in the animal's parents bred in captivity and the individual was raised entirely in a captive situation.
I don't like to disagree with Jake but CB is something that was bred in captivity. That does not imply that its parents were bred in captivity too.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jake didn't say the parent's were captive bred. He said the parents bred in captivity (that is, the parents mated while they were in captivity, leading to eggs, which are captive bred offspring).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Another one you might also run into is LTC. I found this out just recently and it means "long term captive" which just means that the newt/salamander has been care for in captivity for a while but was WC (wild caught) to begin with.

Mitch

fishkeeper

Reaction score
And a final abbreviation(but of little importance in regards to caudates) is CH - captive hatched...as in, offspring produced in captivity that were NOT a result of adults breeding in captivity.(example: you buy an imported caecillian and it produces babies for you a few months later, with presumably no breeding activity)

Last edited by a moderator:

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Would CH also stand for collecting wild eggs and hatching and raising them in captivity?

That's how I refer to it. It's a lot better than wild caught, but doesn't deserve the CB label.

Likewise, some people don't consider animals bred outdoors to be entirely captive bred (I'm thinking European Ambystomid breedings here). They're clearly CB for all intents and purposes, but it's not the same as breeding something inside under artificial conditions.

Lamb

Reaction score
I've been wanting to ask this question, and have been looking for the best place to put it -

Wild caught amphibians are such an issue because it's something the pet trade abuses, correct? The reason that many captive bred breeding programs for the pet trade have sprung up is to counteract that, so that pet stores aren't collecting adults in mass in order to supply their patrons with interesting critters. I've been thinking about it, and I was questioning how much of an effect random individuals collecting herps from the wild to keep effected populations in comparison with herps being collected in mass to supply pet traders.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
With dart frogs their is also farm raised. That means frogs that were raised on a farm. Some of the frog farms are something like large netted areas or greenhouses with free roaming frogs that have been placed in there. Farm raised is somewhere between w.c. and c.b. Many animals have to be c.b. to be imported. If you see an import of c.b. animals that are all adults chances are they are really w.c.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I've been wanting to ask this question, and have been looking for the best place to put it -

Wild caught amphibians are such an issue because it's something the pet trade abuses, correct? The reason that many captive bred breeding programs for the pet trade have sprung up is to counteract that, so that pet stores aren't collecting adults in mass in order to supply their patrons with interesting critters. I've been thinking about it, and I was questioning how much of an effect random individuals collecting herps from the wild to keep effected populations in comparison with herps being collected in mass to supply pet traders.

While I do not condone the collection of wild critters for pets by average individuals mostly due to disease vectors and the fact that quite a few animals do not do well in captivity (for the most part, there are exceptions here like scientists and folks with the means to provide proper care-), I think that the issue of WC is more on the order of say, the popular Cynops sp. or Jackson's Chameleons- where large numbers are harvested from the wild by not only large groups of individuals but also companies looking for profit with little or no overhead. There are examples of species that have been negatively impacted by private collection especially among slow breeders. (The hellbender comes to mind here, along with a few subs of Necturus and quite a few fish...) For the most part though, I highly doubt and quantitative data exists about the impact of private collectors.

The real issue for me is that at one time someone somewhere had to collect wild animals to provide what are now commonly CB pets. It makes me feel all hypocritical.:p

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The real issue for me is that at one time someone somewhere had to collect wild animals to provide what are now commonly CB pets. It makes me feel all hypocritical.:p

I know what you mean, but then again, the situation and conservation status of most caudates was radically different only a few years ago. The impact back then was probably...nothing. But now it´s a much bigger issue....
Anyway one of the problems i have with WC and the pet-trade aside from the incredibly unproper way the imports are treated, is that the number of wild animals needed from a certain species to create breeding groups in captivity, or to provide new blood to stablished colonies, is so incredibly far away from the actual number of animals that are taken from the wild each year that it´s simply ridiculous. We just exploit wild populations because it´s sooo much easier, and because we have the insanily stupid idea that everything on this planet is our property.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was questioning how much of an effect random individuals collecting herps from the wild to keep effected populations in comparison with herps being collected in mass to supply pet traders.
Collection by "random individuals" has much less potential to affect wild populations. In particular, the removal of a fraction of young animals (eggs or juvs) from a healthy population is very unlikely to have any impact at all. Bear in mind that the removal of a full-grown adult takes away the "fittest" of the population, and an animal that can reproduce soon, while most juveniles will never make it to adulthood in the wild anyway. So if you are contemplating taking any animals from the wild, consider taking only eggs/juvs.

In contrast, the pet trade tends to take large numbers of breeding adults out of populations. And for every animal that is sold alive and healthy, there are probably several others that never make it because of poor handling prior to purchase. (Not even considering the number that don't make it due to poor care after purchase.)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Completely agree with Jen...
Just wanted to say that collection from particulars always has to be done under the regulations of each country. Protected animals, endangered populations, etc, can be negatively affected even by small collection. Always keep in mind that, and act taking laws and common sense into consideration.
Another point is that no one should collect wild animals unless proper care for the particular species can be provided. Wild animals are very valuable creatures, they deserve the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1