Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: I'm so scared for these hatchlings, any advice?

Resanub

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster! woo!

Anyway, on Wednesday night, a friend of mine from work came in to possession of axolotl eggs that she found in her unaware aunt's tank. The eggs were about to hatch at any moment, so she decided to take on the task of caring for them. Unfortunately, despite being in the refrigerator, almost all of them hatched on Thursday so she started a batch of BBS that morning from a batch of oldish eggs that she had. She was worried about the hatch rate but didn't have another option.

The problem? She was about to go on vacation on Saturday morning and ultimately, I volunteered to babysit the newly hatched babies while she is away. So I take possession of them on Friday night and the BBS still haven't hatched. I spent all of last night trying everything I can think of to make the BBS hatch and by Saturday morning, nothing. The eggs were just not a viable option to hope for anymore so I spent the majority of today calling everywhere I can think of to find hatched BBS with no luck. I ended up driving an hour and half away to the only place I could find and bought adult BS, black worms, frozen BBS and fresh BS eggs. I got home and started the fresh batch of eggs, and attempted to feed the hatchlings with a verity of methods using the food I bought, with no success. Right now, they are in the fridge so I can at least slow down their metabolic rate.

So at this point, most of the babies are approx. 48 hours old, haven't eaten and I won't have the BBS for at least another 24 - 48 hours. I have been so stressed and worried for these little guys but I'm just at my wit's end. Any suggestions or advice in to the situation would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• axolotl.jpg
    axolotl.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 236
  • axolol.jpg
    axolol.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 179
  • axoltl.jpg
    axoltl.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 174

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd get a very fine net, the sort you use to rinse brine shrimp with and a jar and go to your local pond. Sweep the net in the water and hopefully you will find small daphnia. This may help.

Resanub

Reaction score
That was a fantastic idea! Thank you so much.

I did what you said and managed to get a lot of small pond bugs. I'm not sure if they are all daphnia or not, but they are the perfect size and movement. I placed the rinsed pond bugs and axolotl hatchlings in a feeding container, but so far I haven't witnessed any hunting behavior. Hopefully they will soon!

stavroske

Reaction score
The larvae will not eat the first days. They are still developing while they lay down on the bottom of the tank. After a few days (a days or 3) you can start trying to feed them baby brine shrimp, very small daphnia or microworms.
Good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1