Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cloudy for weeks

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Hi all
Can anyone help please? I have looked at the other threads and don't know what's happening. My tank is cloudy and has been for a a few weeks. I have no idea what an algal blooms looks like so I don't know if that is it. I have a 170 litre tank, 1m long and 3 axis, the biggest about 10cm. I use Prime and Stability and my tank is 6 months old and well cycled. I have even used the Seachem cloudy. My water parameters have been perfect for the whole time. Have double checked.
The substrate is sand . I decided to up the filter as the water was cloudy and i thought that might be the problem. I used the filter medium from the the old filter so as to keep the biology. Still nothing.
The water was beautiful and all of a sudden I can only see the axis if they are by the glass.
I have run out of ideas.
Please help if possible.
Thanks.
Emma

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Post a picture if you can.
Is there anything you did different before the water went cloudy? Post your water parameters so we can double check it.
Usually the 2 reasons would either be a bacterial bloom or sediment from a substrate.
I'm not sure if the seachem cloudy is safe to use with axololts, so I would avoid it for now unless someone says otherwise.
Have you tried doing water changes to see if it helps?

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Should I change the water???? More than 25%. The parameters are all good. Nothing is different.
Having trouble uploading files. It won't let me upload

Attachments

• IMG_20180919_180033.jpg
    IMG_20180919_180033.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180919_180002.jpg
    IMG_20180919_180002.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20180919_175857.jpg
    IMG_20180919_175857.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 99

Hayleyy

Reaction score
How often are your water changes? More regular water changes might help this. Try 25% twice a week and see if there's improvement.

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Thanks!
I did a water change today of about 50%. All water parameters looking good still. It's slightly less cloudy but still not great. See how it is tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

Emmapenguin

Reaction score
Thanks. I put a tiny filter on the other side of the tank which I used ages ago in the same tank when I forgot to wash the sand! It is clearing slowly. At least I can see the plants now!
Thanks for help all. Newbee here so much appreciated.
Oh, btw, my axolotls are really my son's but he is only 8. There is Baby, Sunlight and Moonlight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1