Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sorry, it's another post about poop >.< Is it normal for Axolotls to poop out worms as well as poop?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Fed Toothless 2 small worms from our garden today, yesterday she might have eaten a few bloodworms (I left them in with her while changing her water, she didn't eat the lot, just a few) and her very first live earthworm. Just looked in to check on her and found a small pile of poop surrounded by what looked like dead brown worms. They weren't moving, they just look like bloodworms with the colour drained out.

Have I accidentally given her parasites or is this just how bloodworm poop comes out? I didn't see much of it before because her tank was quite big, and I didn't know what was poop and what were just colourless bloodworms I missed. When I looked in the bin to check (she kept trying to eat it- eww! - so I got in there and hoovered it up) I realised it fell apart when the tissue I dumped it on was touched.
Is this just the poop that's produced when she eats bloodworms? Gross, I know, but it really scared me!

CJ1981

Reaction score
It's not unheard of for very well fed Axies to pass partially digested worms. We'd need pictures of the poop to be sure though (and I can't believe I just typed that!!)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Rule No 1 of the facts of being an Axxie parent; you will, without shame and discretion, talk about poop. Sometimes many times a day. And you will feel no mortification, for this is the realm of the Caudata people.

Oh my Gosh it's all coming true!

I think you're right. They were basically worm-shaped poops, when I touched them with a tissue they were sticky and a brown colour, and simply fell apart (hope you're not eating, sorry for the graphic description!)
I'll try and get a picture but I threw it all in the bin >< I'll post it tomorrow, hopefully before any major meals so no one feels a bit ill :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Lmao i see a post on poo at least once aday here! Its so weird how not weird poop is to an axie owner. I was super excited when my babies poop turned black because i stopped feeding them bbs(they use to come out as bbs shaped beads lmao)

I agree though it is not unheard of. If it doesnt come out one end undigested sometimes it will come out the other end :p normally they vomit though. But a picture would help verify! Yeah pictures of poop!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
It was all thrown away, I couldn't get a picture. For which I think everyone will be quite relieved XD!
I think they were just partially digested, thanks for the reassurance! :)

snuggly time

Reaction score
Mine poops out whole bloodworms sometimes. I guess his water temp is too low for him to digest the food or he simply doesn't need to. I try not to feed him bloodworms now because they're so messy when feeding and also it seems they're messy poo too! He also eats his poo any chance he can get, I guess it saves us a job until the next time lol. :D

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Ewww! But so true! It was so weird today, I got my brand new dendrobaenas from an online supplier today but before they came I dug up two little worms in my garden just in case. I fed her the little worm and her new dendro, and she spat the garden ones out and just ate the dendro!
What a picky little madam! :eek: 'One rather likes these mail order worms from York-shy-er! More please!' >.<

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Aye! They didn't come with curry sauce either. Don't do owt moist! >.<
My Dad comes from Rochdale :) I'm a halfbreed.

shazza

Reaction score
So these yorkshire worms are the "Caviar" of worm world? :p My bugger thankfully is content with spam then... Good old Bunnings worms

Petersgirl

Reaction score
She certainly slurped them up like they were :) I just think it's funny that my axolotl gets more pressies in the post than I do! :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Beks! That's hilarious! I have to show Dad, he'll love it!

We're like that in Cornwall too. Snotton TV (Comedy Alternative Tourist Guide to Cornwall) got it perfect:

Lady Being Interviewed: You see, I trained in London...
Cornish Man 1: Where's that then?
Cornish Man 2: North of Truro, ain't it?

>.<

Petersgirl

Reaction score
People are going to be surprised when they click on a topic about poop and find a video about Yorkshire people...:eek:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Haha! For the first 40 seconds I was like, '...She sings this? But..there's no lyrics! What does she...oh, it does!'
LOL! I imagined your axxie looking up at you after eating, like, 'I can feel it! And it's WRIGGLY!'

shazza

Reaction score
Haha! For the first 40 seconds I was like, '...She sings this? But..there's no lyrics! What does she...oh, it does!'
LOL! I imagined your axxie looking up at you after eating, like, 'I can feel it! And it's WRIGGLY!'

Hahahaa i should have said u need to wait for the words, laughing so hard i have tears!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!