Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping Newts

crawdaddy

Reaction score
Do most people shipping newts actually label the shipment as live animals or just perishable? Cause the caudata page on shipping says newts in a plastic cup with damp moss in a usps priority cardboard box is fine, but the usps page says you have to have 275 lb test, corrugated containers and this fancy stuff for shipping live animals? Are the mail workers actually aware that its newts or just another random package?

rachel1

Reaction score
Lining your box with 1/2" styrofoam will greatly reduce the chances of being crushed and also help insulate against temperature swings during shipping. There are many views on labeling boxes. Sometimes marking a box "live animal" will slow down the box, increasing transit times. I would look into Ship your Reptiles online. Most of my experience is with shipping aquatics, other species may have different requirements.

crawdaddy

Reaction score
To place Styrofoam, is it OK if I cut pieces from a large sheet and pack them into the box, then fill the excess space with crumpled newspaper? And is the Styrofoam enough insulation against freezing temperatures or should I wait for warmer weather.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!