Detroit Zoo-National Amphibian Concervation Center

K

kaysie

If anyone's ever in the area, i suggest a tour. They dont have many sals, more frogs, but do have a beautiful axy exhibit and a giant giant japanese sal tank. i saw two in their but they were pretty lazy and i couldnt find a zookeper near bye to see if they were a male-female pair. anyone know how well these breed in captivity? they also had a pair of hellbenders, which were pretty animated at the time. lol, you all would have laughed to see me crawling through a kids-only tunnel thing to see the texas cave sals. if you're ever in the airea, ihighly suggest going

Hi Kaysie,
From what I remember these are a pair. They have been no reproductions of this salamander in the United States. They have been bred in Japan in big raceways that are hooked into the streams so they experience the same seasonal conditions that they would recieve in the wild.
This salamander is not usually active during the day but is fairly active at night. In Japan they are known to even cross roads at night.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back