Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suggestions for hides

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
i ended up using a few of my Pom juice bottles from my collection. after i drink the juice i just rinse them not actually wash them so a good rinse with water, vinegar and a tinsy bit of beach should do it. and there glass and perfectly cylindrical so it makes a nice tunnel. pixie got introduced into the nice new cycled tank today, and so far really likes his section. Matti still has a bit longer in the quarantine tank,

Star

Reaction score
Another good hide for younger axies is hamster houses - the 1s from Wilkinsons have 4 entry / exit holes + I've used them for fish in the past ;)

My strawberry is a hamster bed :D did you use the plastic ones? could never get them to sink, even putting sand in the bottom to weigh them down :(

memojo1979

Reaction score
My strawberry is a hamster bed :D did you use the plastic ones? could never get them to sink, even putting sand in the bottom to weigh them down :(

Yeah, plastic 1s. I remember using gravel in the fish tank + I did put a layer on the floor of the hammy house, but from what I remember, that was an asthetic thing rther than to get it to sink / stay in place. I could be wrong though, since it was several years ago :eek:

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
I have a cave in my current tank, and a tall volcanoey type thing. I think they're both too small but the axies insist on getting in them still! I panic about twice a week when I can't see my girl, but she hides in the top most part of the volcano which is by far the thinnest part and means she pretty much is on her hind legs to get in.

I will put pics up when I move them to their bigger tank but I have nightmares about them being stuck. In reality there is enough space on the inside, but the entrance looks so small!

In the new tank I'm going to use different woods to make hides, and loads of various plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!