Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is wrong with my axolotls ?

Aaliyahsutton

Reaction score
As you can see in the photo my wildtype axolotl got this white mark on his face and two holes on the side that look like nostril and his gills are now a bit purple. My other axolotl got like this black mark in his lips.
The photo on the left is before ( about two months ago and the photo on the right is from today) Is it something I should be worried about?

Attachments

• IMG_8271.jpg
    IMG_8271.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5,465
  • IMG_8272.jpg
    IMG_8272.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,439

Cloppy

Reaction score
The Wildtype has fungus. Saprolegnia, the most common sort of true fungus found in freshwater, can be treated by similar measures as Columnaris and this fungus is only rarely fatal, if treated early. If your tap water has chloramine, this can be used as a treatment for fungal problems. Bathe the wounds or immerse the animal in the water for a few minutes each day, as you would with a salth bath. Fungus can also affect eggs, and effected eggs should be removed if feasible, because the fungus c Treating Fungus (Salt Baths)

Does your axie have fungus? Fungus looks like cotton wool, fluffy, like the mould that grows on fruits. It can be fatal to an axolotl, especially if it envelops a large part of their body.
Fungus usually appears on a wound, such as if they get a foot bitten off, or a decent scratch. Here’s how to treat it!
Salt Baths!
Salt baths should be kept for only when you are certain it is fungus, as it can harm and stress your axie otherwise. To start with, try to gently remove some fungus with a cottonbud (qtip?) roll it against the fungus, gently, towards the axolotls body. If you roll against, it can pull, and tear the axolotl’s skin. It isn’t always easy to remove, so just try.
On to the salt baths

• Salt baths - Prepare a tub of fresh, dechlorinated water
  • Dissolve 2-3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt such as sea salt, fresh aquarium salt, kosher salt (do not use table salt!) per litre of water. Ensure that the salt is completely dissolved before putting the axolotl in the saltbath.
  • Leave axolotl in salt bath for 10 minutes, but no longer than 15 minutes as the salt will start to damage the axie’s skin and gills.
Needs to be done two or three times a day, fresh salt and water bath each time!
Fungal Infection
Fungal infection can infect anywhere from the eye, leg and gills. Fungal infection usually look like a cotton fluff or ball. Best at home remedy for a fungal infection would be a salt bath. Fungal infection is probably most common. Causes of fungal infection can be long period of high water temperature or poor water quality.

At one point or another your Axolotl will probably get a infection such as a fungal infection which might require you to give your Axolotl a salt bath.

Step 1:

Make your salt water solution. Mix 2-3 teaspoons for every liter of dechlorinated water in a container that your Axolotl can comfortably fit in.

Step 2:
Gently pick up your Axolotl using both hand or a net and place the Axolotl in the container with the salt solution.

Step 3:
Set a timer for 10 - 15 minuets.

Step 4:
When the timer is done take the Axolotl out of the salt bath and place the Axolotl preferably in a holding tank / container.

Step 5:
Do this for about 2 times a day.

Step 6:
Repeat step 1 - 5 for at least one day after there is no visible sign of the infection. Or you could take him to the vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1