Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chemical interactions

Lorry88

Reaction score
Moving this here as accidentally posted in the introductions!

Hi all,

I have 2 axolotls, and they now 2 years old and apart from the struggle to keep them cool and occasional fungal infections they are generally healthy.

However, I had a moth issue in my room so I removed the axolotls to another room, wrapped the tank and made sure the room had been left to airate before adding back the filter and air stone and then left the tank to cycle a few hours before adding my axolotls back.

The chemicals I used the kill the moths was highly toxic to aquatic life but I used the powder and liquid so that there would be less of it in the air.

However, when placing the axolotls back one jumped out and firstly went onto the ledge but when I tried to grab she jumped onto the floor (a reasonable height for an axolotl). I grabbed her and put her into the container, I then moved her to another small container with aquarium water and after that into a bucket with aquarium water.

I haven't placed her back into the tank incase she still has chemicals on her, which would harm the other axolotl, but hopefully that is unlikely by now?

Is there anything I can do? She seems quite chilled out but can she survived that given the floor had recently been covered in powder and spray which contained cypermethrin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!