Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Simple Insect Trap Ideas - Please Guide me

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Hope all is well and great !

Friends, I want to catch small insects for my Frogs and just wanted to request for guidance on how to make a simple insect trap. Here in India we dont have any bait or pet shops who carry live insects, crickets, worms etc and the only way I'll be able to feed my frogs is by catching a few small insects, flys etc everyday.

I was thinking that I'll easily catch a few insects (that get attracted to lights) everyday but today when I tried I couldnt catch anything atall. My frogs are being starved today because of this...

Will be a great help if you can kindly guide me on how to make a simple, cheap, fairly efficient insect trap. Kindly help !

Thanks a lot for all the care and love you guys have given me - really appreciate it, Friends...
Lots of Regards and Care to all,
Kush

nagukush

Reaction score
Here is an easy insect trap design:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ythfacts/4h/unit2/hotm&ult.htm

You can place it beneath an existing outdoor light instead of rigging up its own light bulb. The same trap will attract fruit flies if, instead of using a light, you simply put a slice of ripe or rotting fruit in the can.

Thanks a lot sir - thats a great and simple design. Can I just make one and let it hang below the fluorescent tube light that we have outside our home ? Will it still be effective and catch insects efficiently ?

Nathan

Reaction score
Yes, it should work fine that way. You can enhance the design by using a piece of white paper or fabric behind the light to increase its visibility to insects.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1