Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A bit upset...

kay

Reaction score
Two days ago I bought some beautiful Tylototriton Shanjing newts from a pet store. I wanted to try my hand at breeding. So I checked these guys over very carefully, nothing was wrong. Their skin seemed a bit off, but I chopped it up to them being in a soil-drenched enclosure... Brought them home and last night saw that both had developed sores on the top of their heads. It also looks like they have the shine... The bigger one is currently eating, he also has the biggest sore. The other one is quite small and not eating. I quarantine them right away and started using polysporin on the wounds. Since the smaller one isn't eating, I've also put it in the fridge. Hopefully that might calm the little one down a bit because the shine looks a lot worse.

Just very frustrated that this happens... Poor animals. And what makes it worse is that everyone around me is telling me just give them back to the pet store and get a replacement(which is ridiculous because the pet store didn't have anymore anyways). Anyways sorry for making this so long. I just needed to vent this frustration somewhere.

Travisdjtg

Reaction score
Never buy animals from a pet store, get them from a real breeder who cares about their well-being more than profit.

"Saving" an animal from a pet store is a bad reason to get it. You're only promoting poor care and foreign imports.

Last edited by a moderator:

kay

Reaction score
I have to agree, bad judgement call on my part... I normally do get my animals from breeders.

Life is full of lessons I suppose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1