Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freezing worms?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
So I realized last night that I don't have the heart to chop up a living creature into pieces ( some may say this is a good thing) however my soon to be ADF's and my eventual axolotls will need to eat

Can I freeze earthworms? Just use an ice cube tray or something and tie craft mesh firmly to it to keep them in? Then my pets can still eat them but I wont have to cut them while they are still alive

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No. Earthworms turn to something akin to worm-pudding when they're frozen.

If it's any consolation, studies have shown that worms don't feel pain.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I always feel bad with their wiggling and trying to crawl up my fingers ... I wouldn't even let dad fish with live bait. When I was little :(

I guess what has to be done has to be done ... or maybe I can try to pick out ones that are the appropriate size for feeding whole?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Appropriate size is definitely a great way to go- I tend to luck out when I feed worms (Most of the time they hide way down beyond the reach of any mortals in the compost heap), in that the ones that get close enough to the surface to be grabbed are just the right size for my axies :) Additionally, if you leave the larger ones in your compost/worm farm/food hotel they will be able to breed and give you more worms of a smaller size for your darlings to slurp down :D

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
thanks i will definitely try that ... i have feeding tongs so that will be easier

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Worms are meant to be cut. That is why they come pre-cut with their own segmented bodies.

JessKB

Reaction score
I would think cutting them would be kinder than freezing them alive. But it doesn't matter. Worms are on the bottom of the food chain and are brutally killed millions of times a day. They're used to it. Of course between fishing my whole life and keeping sals for a few years I've likely killed a few villages of worms. Sometimes I wonder if momma worms tell baby worms that if they don't eat their dinner, Jesskb is gonna come chop them up...

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I love fishing but I still feel bad ... I am also a rat mommy and they are towards the bottom of the foodchain ... that doesn't mean they deserve to be harmed

snuggly time

Reaction score
This sounds horrible but you do get used to chopping them up. My first few worms had me freaking out, and my partner won't even go near them! He will only feed blood worm on his feeding days. You just have to find a quick technique, I found cutting with scissors is best.

My wormery has been a disaster. My worms kept finding ways to escape. I've ended up with worms just living in my bedroom. The worm that wriggles out from under my bed is the one that gets to be dinner that day! Although, this morning we had 3 wrigglers making a break for it across the bedroom floor! If they're the best diet for my axie, then I will do anything for him. Even if it means doing something I really really hate.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Wow I would have never thought of worms as escape artists lol, I am use to cricket escapes and such but worms seem so ... Idk ...

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I dislike cutting up wriggling worms so I "stun" the worms first by holding them under scalding hot water for a few seconds. It doesn't always kill them as the worms usually revive if left alone for a few minutes but they remain motionless long enough to get the job done.
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1