Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not quite a worm farm, but a good worm house!.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As European night-crawlers seem to be near impossible to obtain in Australia, I found to my delight that the African night-crawler is available. Being a tropical worm, it does quite well in our warm climate, and is an excellent food for axolotls. Some of my fussy beggars don't care much for the red wriggler compost worms, no matter how long I soak them for first.

Trying to keep these worms alive for more than a few weeks while they were being kept in large storage tubs, I found to be quite challenging: If they got too cold, they died. If they were kept too moist, they became liquid muck in the bottom of the tub. If they got too warm and dry, they died.

After almost giving up keeping them for long periods of time (resigning myself to buying a tub once a week from our local bait shop. It's a great shop. They always ask after my happy little carnivores), I think I've found the solution.

So, during one of my ambles through a home-wares shop, I fixed my beady eye on a lettuce spinner (it was on special, too!), wondered if that would be good for housing worms, and took it home with me. I've kept my current night-crawlers for about three months now, and haven't had a single die off.

The worms are still thriving in their new home, the humble 'lettuce spinner':

jacquie-albums-odds-ends-technology-not-my-friend-lol-picture27371-1.jpg

jacquie-albums-odds-ends-technology-not-my-friend-lol-picture27372-2.jpg

jacquie-albums-odds-ends-technology-not-my-friend-lol-picture27373-3.jpg

jacquie-albums-odds-ends-technology-not-my-friend-lol-picture27374-4.jpg

- The heavy-ish top prevents worms escaping. One of the tubs I had previously had worms escaping from every nook and cranny they could squeeze themselves out of! argh!

- The inside basket allows air flow, keeps the food up the top, and allows the worm dirt to sift through the basket to accumulate down the bottom (out of the worms' way) allowing for easy removal and spreading out onto the garden. It also prevents moisture accumulating down the bottom to harm the worms (not sure if that's what killed the others, but I'm strongly suspecting it of doing so as that's where the dead were found; a slimy moisturized mess).

- No need to use the 'spinner', I don't think dizzy worms make happy food.

I'm not sure if it's feasible or big enough to make into a worm farm (haven't seen any worm casings), but it saves me going to the bait shop every week to buy another tub of worms! Now, I only need drop in once every couple of months to 'top up'.

These worms availability in winter is limited during the cold months due to them preferring 25C+ temperatures, so if they keep well in their 'house' for a few months during the lean (cold!) season, this is an added bonus.

Last edited:

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hi Jacquie
Where did you get your worms?
What a fantastic idea, very clever. I will pass on this advice to lotl friends that only need a smallish supply. I have a worm farm living in my lounge room, it sure is a talking point. The guy from Jim's Mowing was very surprised to see it today, I wonder what he really thought ☺
Cheers
Kerry

shazza

Reaction score
I have a worm cafe in yhe laundry. Gets rid of scraps hubby gets the worm tea for the nursery. Axie has never ending fat worms. I have to keep em inside as it got to hot in the carport. Might try those worms during winter though.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jacquie
Where did you get your worms?
What a fantastic idea, very clever. I will pass on this advice to lotl friends that only need a smallish supply. I have a worm farm living in my lounge room, it sure is a talking point. The guy from Jim's Mowing was very surprised to see it today, I wonder what he really thought ☺
Cheers
Kerry

I get them from Northern Fishing & Camping (my local fish bait shop), Epping, Victoria. They order their worms from a major worm farm / supplier. I don't think this worm farm sells to the public, though. The name of the place escapes me, I'll see if I can find one of the original packages.

I can imagine it being a talking point! ;) When I told the bored checkout clerk to what purpose I was going to put my lettuce spinner, she didn't look so bored then. She asked if I had a picture of one of these creatures (axolotls, not worms) as they sound "groovy".

Kerry M

Reaction score
I get them from Northern Fishing & Camping (my local fish bait shop), Epping, Victoria. They order their worms from a major worm farm / supplier. I don't think this worm farm sells to the public, though. The name of the place escapes me, I'll see if I can find one of the original packages.

I can imagine it being a talking point! ;) When I told the bored checkout clerk to what purpose I was going to put my lettuce spinner, she didn't look so bored then. She asked if I had a picture of one of these creatures (axolotls, not worms) as they sound "groovy".

I bet you made her day, I love showing people pictures of axies, some people are so fascinated to see them while others are a bit shocked really :)
I work for a non profit and we have a family centre where Gavin the Axolotl resides in his bare bottom tank. The gravel had to go! Now we have staff feeding him with the compost worms (even those that were worried to kill the worms!) and he's become the centre mascot. I ordered some worms from Kookaburra Worms a few days ago, a mixed bag with five different worms. Hopefully they will help stock the worm cafe again. The 20 little ones really chomp through them fast. I'll let you know how they are but I would be interested to order those worms that you have if it is possible.

hannahll

Reaction score
I want a worm house like that! That's so awesome! I've considered making a "worm farm"

Kerry M

Reaction score
Just got the Kookaburra worms and am so happy. They are really big and there are heaps of them. Not that they'd fit in a lettuce spinner ☺

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hi there

I tried the compost worms from Kookaburra Worms and am very happy with them. They are a bit large though so need to be cut for some of my smaller axies, but the good part is they are ready to multiply.

The company also sells European Nightcrawlers that they have named Catchall Crawlers. I asked whether there was a compost bomb of these available to purchase and was told that they are only available through bait packs. These can be purchased in bulk or for smaller quantities they are available from BCF stores nationwide, I was advised to call to check stock levels if I was interested.

I also have them in the compost worms that I got so hopefully they will multiply soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1