Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Prehistoric Salamander

ferret_corner

Reaction score
OOHHHH I wish they'd had an artists representation of it!! Thanks for the article!

freves

Reaction score
I really enjoy reading about paleo findings. Again thanks for sharing.
Chip

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
Aparently prehistoric salamanders grew to 15 feet long and were extremely vicious. imagine an axolotl at 15 feet long would make an awesome pet if they didn't eat you.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Thanks for the news - it looks interesting.

Please note that this animal was NOT a salamander. It is "salamander-like", which basically means it has a tail and legs, like a lizard or a dog for that matter. Bet on it having fish-like scales as well.

By current standards it is only questionably an amphibian. It is a temnospondyl, which were likely ancestors of living amphibians and not of living amniotes, which means one can justifiably call them amphibians without conflict. However; many temnospondyls, including marine species, had little resemblance to what we think of as amphibians. Lepospondyls were another ancient "amphibian" group which might have given rise to some or all modern amphibians. A third such group, the reptiliomorphs, were ancestors of amniotes, more clearly showing the problem with calling them 'amphibians'! If we combined old nomenclature with current knowledge of relationships, *we* would be amphibians because we are direct descendants of animals with feet and tails which laid soft eggs in water.

Many temnospondyls were quite large, though I can't recall any of this size. However, I do know of fossil cryptobranchid salamanders from North America which WERE gigantic. Andrias matthewi has been estimated at up to 2300mm [nearly 100 inches - 7.5 feet]. See "Fossil Salamanders of North America" by J. Alan Holman, Indiana University Press, 2006.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!