Question for UK shanjing keepers

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
Have any UK shanjing keepers had eggs this year?

Mine usualy breed every year, but this year nothing.
Only reason I can think of is the wierd weather we have had this spring-summer.

Native newts started coming back to my garden ponds in mild days in feb as usual , then we got ice and snow.
As spring came along, no spring like weather, and that has continued, with us only having a few days of temperatures expected here in Doncaster right up untill now.
Newt returns[also frogs] to my ponds are way way down on what was expected.

My newt room is unheated, and the shanjing get just indirect sunlight, and I am wondering if the unusual temperatures may have stopped the breeding?

My newt room is unheated, and the shanjing get just indirect sunlight, and I am wondering if the unusual temperatures may have stopped the breeding?

I would say yes but only temporarily though as they require a dormancy period anyway of temperatures as low as 6 - 15's (this period of dormancy should take place around December to March anyway), their breeding period in the wild is believed to take place during May to August anyway and is triggered by the rise in temperature (obviously to do with the Seasonal Change) and it has been observed that water temperature has been recorded at around 23'c

Last edited:
I would also say that the weird weather is part of it, here in Holland is the same problem with exception of us, we keep the shanjing's in the livin room and have about 12 larvea's swimmimg in the aquarium

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back