Question: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

DomDaw

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Recently one of my axolotls laid some eggs, and I have decided that I cannot take care of 100 axolotls once they are hatched so I decided to sell some of the eggs. Already have had plenty of people contacting me about buying the eggs, however I need a bit of help.

The ones I've already sent off have been the ones that were loosely placed at the bottom of the tank. However, these are running out. Does anyone know a good method to get the eggs of ornaments such as rocks and plastic containers?

If anyone can give me some tips of how to ship etc (although I think I have it covered) that would be awesome!!

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 20,402
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 836
Re: URGEN HELP NEEDED! Axolotl Eggs.

You can carefully use your nails to 'scrape' them off. You might damage some but it's mostly the outside layer of the egg. The egg itself is inside this goo (or something like that. So it won't be a problem)

Thanks, I used a spoon to get some of them. Worked pretty well. I might use my nail on the next set I send off.

Does anyone know how strong the eggs are? Are they durable at all?

(I don't want to send someone eggs knowing they will not survive.)

Hi, the eggs are extremely durable because of being surrounded by so much jelly. Also when you get hold of some jelly and gently pull they will often come off in a long strong making it easy to get a few at a time...I would use my fingers though not a spoon...just to you know how much pressure you're really using. I was very nervous first time I did this but I was really surprised just how strong they are.

Thanks for that. Yeah I started using my nails + the spoon just for support. I think a couple eggs got damaged after I got impatient the first few times but after a while it went fine.

I put the leaves and such between 2 fingers and 'scrape' the leaf, and the eggs come off pretty easily. Like others have said, they're quite tough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back