Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best way to keep earthworms through the winter?

kroezen

Reaction score
I use earthworms as a staple food for my axolotls presently, however, as winter is coming up in a few months, I'd like to know how to keep them alive over the winter.

Is freezing them an option (I understand that they'll die), or will they freezer burn?

Would a worm farm in my basement work? It would probably consist of Styrofoam containers and be kept in our crawlspace (it's a dirt floored room where our water heater/cooler/whatever it's called is). I just don't want them to go bad/die randomly.

Could I keep them in plastic bags in a fridge? With dirt of course. I've heard of people doing that.

The worms I'd be getting would be in small plastic tubs with 12 worms in each. Could they survive in small containers in the fridge?

Sorry for the question overload, just looking for the best option of long-term health. Thanks!

Reaction score
If you keep them indoors in a tub with some soil overwinter they should be fine! I don't think freezing them is a good idea. :happy:

Gma

Reaction score
I imagine if you freeze them they'll turn to mush when you defrost them, but I might be wrong. I keep mine indoors over winter as well and they're fine.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends very much on the type of worm. Compost worms (red wiggler or Euro nightcrawlers) will keep very well at room temp. If they are Canadian nightcrawlers, then they will need to be kept cool.

I have used frozen worm pieces, and they were OK. It may be worth a try.

Reaction score
Is there no way you could keep them in a fridge and not a freezer? That is what i do with my wax worms and they have survived for months like that!

salada

Reaction score
If you keep them in a container of dirt with small amounts of food for them and occasionally mist them with water to keep them from drying out they should be fine. I plan on doing the same thing.:happy:

mikeg

Reaction score
I would say yes they can survive in the plastic tube you buy them in in the fridge i have done this and never had a problem. As for the Styrofoam box as a worm farm, it wont work.I have bought about 1500 ( 3 different sets of 500) worms that i have killed in the Styrofoam box, it works for about a month but then the inside of the box starts to sweat and will drown the worms on the bottom while the dirt on top stays the same. Once a few drown and die it wont take long for them all to die and leave a absolutely horrible smell of death. A olastic or wood box works best in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!