If you're planning to ship, please look here!

digitalxri0t

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Яei ☆
I know many people have had great success shipping eggs, juvies and adult aquatic friends via the water bottles and cups, etc. However its not really the best/safest/healthiest way to ship anything aquatic and I've recently been turned onto Kordons breathing bags. Oxygen goes in, Co2 goes out, they're sealed up with water in them and it reduces sloshing that happens with shipping. I just sent some axolotl eggs to Willowcat in one of these said bags and he suggested a post regarding them as two of the larvae hatched in shipping and were received well and healthy.

Breather Bags - AQPKG - Your one stop shop for Aquatic Packaging

As someone that has received larvae that hatched in shipping and suffocated, please consider using this as a better method in shipping and try to use it rather than the other ways. It might cost a little more than a water bottle but anyone decent should be willing to use that method over sending in CD cases and bottles.

345_Breathing_Bags_1_zps19108851.jpg

shrimpfarm015Small_zpsadb70121.jpg

Images are pulled off the internet and are not mine.

Breather bags are nice, but they're not necessary. I've used breather bags, regular fish bags, ziploc bags, etc. They all seem to work equally well at holding water and axolotls.

The best way to prevent hatching in the post is not to ship eggs that are near hatching.

I think suffocation is only a concern if you fill the bag up with too much water. I've shipped tons of axolotls fine double bagged in ziplocks with 50% air or so.

The advantage to the breather bags is that you don't have to include any air inside the bag. Thus you can use a smaller box, and there is no sloshing around. Also, no worries that the air will expand at high altitude (during air transit) and burst the bag.

Jennewt got here before me and said what I was going to say. However on top of that by reducing air in packaging and smaller packaging it also reduces sloshing which can cause stress.

As for avoiding shipping out eggs too far along sometimes that just isn't an option. I like to make sure mine are developing nicely so I don't send duds and payday isn't always right when you need it.

Overall I still think breather bags are a preferable safer method regardless and for roughly 50 cents a bag that can be reused and even seal up a small puncture hole it should be put above using the other methods in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My favorite part of the post is the fact that, if the eggs are to hatch, they can survive because of the egg yolk that they feed on. That is why I prefer a visible embryo in the egg. Why ship duds? If the eggs are crammed into a water bottle or zip locked bag, and hatch, they will surly suffocate. Note the word: crammed.---- I know this from past experiences---- Now, I shoot pure oxygen into my fish bags for juvies, adults, and Rosey Red minnows:eek:. (for bait, not feeder fish). This is done in pet stores and bait stores, throughout, as we all know. Now my question is.....since the bags claim that they actually release Co2 and absorb oxygen, then how does it do it?....."mechanically that is".....I am sold on this bag as an egg bag, but not completely sold on this bag as a live animal bag. (for volume....head count) Do we know of any time and volume measurements of the bag. So, when I ship 50 juvies, or 200 Roseys, in a single 12X24, oxygenated bag, overnight, and have no problem, I won't have a problem with that count, in these bags with no oxygen? I probably need to get a bunch of Roseys, and put them into one of these bags, and time it. I am not sold, yet. on this bag for volume, but I am sold on this bag for embryos. The altitude theory is an excellent one. Do we know for sure that a non-breathing bag expands and contracts? If it does, is there oxygen being released. I would think it would be release through a breathable bag easier. I wonder if the company can give us the measurements that we are seeking. What do you think Digiax0tl......do you have the 800 number? Let us know.
Since I have everyones attention....let me ask this question....does this "posting box" have a spell check some where?

You're on your own for spell-check. Get Firefox, it yells at you when you spell something wrong.

The guy I got the bags with to start sold me on them over the fact that he kept a goldfish in a bag for a little over a week. I'm a skeptical person but I trust my guy and he said other than being very hungry the goldfish was fine. Now anyone who knows about goldfish knows they're massive waste producers and as such need big tanks but if one can be kept fine in a bag for a week I'm inclined to believe axolotls would be fine for a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've used breather bags and standard bags and I believe they both have pros and cons. One issue with the breather bags is that if you don't use appropriate packing material "around" the bag, you can still cause the animals to suffocate. You need some space or a "breathable" material around the bag to get the benefit of these bags. I've had fish arrive suffocated because the person shipping them wrapped the bag in a material that didn't allow oxgen transport.

Loads of great info in this thread!! As a newbie to all of this, it's very much appreciated. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back