Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworm farm in Texas

JamieOleBoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was planning to feed my axie a healthy diet of earthworms. But the more I read it seems that Texas would be a tough place due to the heat. Is this true? If so, could I use a mini fridge to farm them in? How many do you think could yield in one?

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

auntiejude

Reaction score
I can't see why you can't get a worm farm going even in Texas heat - you just need somewhere cool to keep it, but not a fridge. A mini fridge would not really be big enough, and TBH too cold.

If you get the regular red wrigglers they will be happy up to mid-20s C, if you have an outhouse, garage or basement that should suffice.

JamieOleBoy

Reaction score
I can't see why you can't get a worm farm going even in Texas heat - you just need somewhere cool to keep it, but not a fridge. A mini fridge would not really be big enough, and TBH too cold.

If you get the regular red wrigglers they will be happy up to mid-20s C, if you have an outhouse, garage or basement that should suffice.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a house at the moment we will move to our first house in July. I have a balcony I could place it off of but I don't think that I could keep the heat that low especially during summertime and my girl doesn't want these in the house lol. The minfridge would could be preset but if you think it's going to be too chilly then I suppose that's not an option. I am looking to grow some healthy worms for healthy axies.

JamieOleBoy

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply auntie. The only issue I have is I am currently in an apartment and am limited to the balcony until moving to a house in July or August time which will lead to accessibility to the garage or alternatives. The girlfriend will not tolerate (nor do I want) to keep them inside.

Should I just wait? I was hoping I could make this a possibility. Thanks again for your help.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I keep my worm farm indoors in winter - there is no smell, no noise. What amuses me are the people who are quite happy to have various live things (axies, bloodworms, earthworms etc) in their fridge but won't have a worm bucket in the house.

If you can get a regular fresh supply of worms for now setting up a farm once you've moved would be great.

mackinthebox

Reaction score
It's all going to depend on the type of worms you want to grow.
Red wigglers would probably do ok, but my axies wont eat though.
Canadian nightcrawlers require cold temperatures so its doubtful that would work, might work with your minifridge idea though.
Have you looked up worm farms on youtube? There are tons of instructional videos on there, do a search and watch a few, will probably find a design that works best for you that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1