Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to start with worms?

Citrus

Reaction score
I want to start feeding earthworms or night crawlers but am unsure of where to start. Does anyone know of any feeder suppliers that sell them in quantities of 50 or less? I only have one tiger sal so it would be almost pointless to buy anymore than that. I can't just dig them up because my yard is sprayed and I'm pretty sure a bait shops worms would carry parasites.
What's better earthworms or night crawlers?
If I started breeding my own, what's the smallest container I can culture them in? I don't really have space for a huge Rubbermaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manderkeeper

Reaction score
You can buy Canadian nightcrawlers by the cup. A plastic box shouldn't take up too much space. I've been keeping European nightcrawlers in a box with an 8" depth of coco fiber. If you end up with too many likely a fish keeper or fisherman would gladly accept them.

Teeglor

Reaction score
I get my food from Pet Smart and Prairie Aquatic and Exotic. There's some groups on Facebook about salamanders, you should join if you're on there. This place is great but replies are faster on the FB groups. I hope someone can help you! "Newts and Salamanders" and "Caudata.org" are the group names.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!