Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Helveticus in Brittany

A

adam

During a visit to Gurledan in Brittany, i happened upon a rather beautiful and very small, 3.5 cm L. helveticus. He was in full breeding condition and after some time of keeping him, has still not grown. Does anyone know what subspecies occupying that area is, and whether it is likely to be just an individual characteristic.

Cheers
Adam

W

william

Hi Adam, there are only 3 subspecies of helveticus, the nominate subspecies is found over the entire range in western Europe, the other two subspecies are from small and localised populations in Spain, the more widespread of the two is L. h. alonsoi the other is L. h. sequerai

K

kamil

Hi Will,

you are wrong. Triturus helveticus alonsoi and Triturus helveticus sequerai are the same subspecies! The second subspecies is Triturus helveticus punctillatus.

A

adam

Kamil, how do you always manage to know everything???? Where on earth do you get your knowledge i think i should shop there as well!!!

K

kamil

Hi Adam,

I'm sorry if it seems that I'm a smart a*s*s. But things like this I know from several conversations with various people around the globe. But also from diverse Internet sites and the german-speaking Forums.
The name a site? Here we go: http://www.darkwave.org.uk/%7Ecaleb/trihel.html (a great site if you ask me!)

Best Greetings,

Kamil

W

william

ahh right, thanks for correcting me! which term is used nowerdays?

A

adam

I wasn't implying that you were a smart a**e at all, merely just complimenting your huge knowledge of the subject
talker.gif
!!!!

I know that site and I agree, it is excellent.

Still Can anyone answer my question regarding the explanation of his dwarf adult size?

Adam

K

kamil

Hi Will,

at moment it seems to me as Triturus helveticus alonsoi is the usual name. I will look that up when I'll be back home.

@Adam: Which size are the 3,5cm? Is it just the body or the whole snout-tail-length? It would be very unusual for the nominate form to be mature in that small size.

Best Greetings,

Kamil

A

adam

It is 3.5 cms total length, this is why i am so confused, it is much smaller than my smallest adult italicus!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!