Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Color Injected Clawed Frogs

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Take a look at these guys. These guys were $2.99 each. I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors? One of them is neon green and the other is neon red. The red one is kinda dull but I've seen other red ones that were really bright.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 21,435
  • IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 12,736
  • IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 25,586

Catbeanie

Reaction score
Take a look at these guys. These guys were $2.99 each. I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors? One of them is neon green and the other is neon red. The red one is kinda dull but I've seen other red ones that were really bright.

This has to be cruel surely.

Don't buy them, then there won't be a market for them and they won't do it anymore.

I have seen various fish injected with dies in various patterns... I will not go near them.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors?

They are in fact albino.

Don't buy them, then there won't be a market for them and they won't do it anymore.

This is a losing battle. There will always be a market for them, just look at how well the fish sell or even GFP axolotls. I don't personally see anything wrong with it but to each their own I suppose.

Catbeanie

Reaction score
Greatwtehunter said:
This is a losing battle. There will always be a market for them, just look at how well the fish sell or even GFP axolotls. I don't personally see anything wrong with it but to each their own I suppose.

What are GFP axolotls?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
An axolotl that expresses the gene for green flourescent protein. It looks normal but glows a bright green under a black light. It is a genetically engineered morph originally created by a lab in Germany.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
At 1st I didn't know they were injected with color. I thought it was a new color morph of some sort or something like GFP. I talked to the petshop owner about GFP axolotls and neon danios. He told me its the same thing. So I was tricked into buying them. I should of research it. Actually another member here on the site told me they were injected with color.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
I have to admit that they are kinda neat looking. But I think people shouldnt inject chemicals in animals to make a $

Greg31

Reaction score
Thats cruel, and i personally find nothing attractive about them. Who would actually want anything that looks completely unnatural. I have my tanks so i have a little piece of nature in my house.

This isnt going at you original poster but to those who do sell them.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
All a sudden things get tense. I'm sorry to have created a itchy conversation. With everything said we are teaching others with our thoughts and feelings. Alot of people don't know about frogs being injected with dye. Others were misled and now corrected. Bottom line is that I have 2 frogs that are in my possession and I am going to care for them. I knew since I got them that is was a longterm deal. People can say whatever they want to say about them but, they will be well cared for. Keep you guys posted.

Tappers

Reaction score
Sorry this turned into a bit of a stoning Jaymes, I'm not a fan of this process but playing devil's anorak for a moment I think it's a good thing that you posted them and raised the profile of this practice so others can learn the truth before they consider buying them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ahg....horrible....just horrible. I can´t believe the law allows such a thing...it´s cruel, and i´m sure lots of animals are lost during the process, or shortly afterwards...
I will never understand this obsession with "altered" animals..mind you, it´s what most people seem to like...

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Ahg....horrible....just horrible. I can´t believe the law allows such a thing...it´s cruel, and i´m sure lots of animals are lost during the process, or shortly afterwards...
I will never understand this obsession with "altered" animals..mind you, it´s what most people seem to like...

Maybe we should make altered humans and then people might not find it funny.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we should make altered humans and then people might not find it funny.

People do that all the time--tattoos, piercings, even splitting tongues (to look like a snake) or putting metal balls under the skin to have bumps on your head. I've heard of people shaving their teeth to make them pointy. Whatever we do to animals, we've done at least as bad to ourselves.

ZephAmp

Reaction score
I've never seen any dyed like this, however, there are some legitimate gene-injected (or plain leucistic) clawed frogs out there.
Here's one that I bought a few years ago and what she turned into. You can tell it wasn't dye injection by the color of her eyes.
attachment.php

attachment.php

ZephAmp

Reaction score
Actually, those may also be gene-injected clawed frogs. The dyed frogs usually have splotchy patterns and the original albino eye coloring, like this one:
Frog,%20311.jpg

(Photo from Aqualand Pets Plus)

RainFrog

Reaction score
I saw those xenopus offered one day, and find it horrifying that "modified" animals are becoming more common in the pet trade. I refuse to buy "Glo-fish" or any genetically modified pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!